- Essar Projects has been awarded the prestigious contract to build the Ro-Ro Ferry Service Terminal linking Gogha and Dahej in Gujarat by the Gujarat Maritime Board.
- The Project is scheduled to be completed in 15 months and will cost Rs. 225 crores
- The Ro-Ro Ferry Service will facilitate safe and speedy passenger travel and goods movement between Gogha & Dahej by reducing the 360km land-route to a 31km sea-route
- This more than 80% reduction in distance will result in valuable savings in fuel costs and travel-time, thereby contributing towards a cleaner and greener Gujarat
Gogha, Gujarat, India: Essar Projects, part of the Essar Group, has bagged the EPC contract for the prestigious Ro-Ro Ferry Service Terminals at Gogha & Dahej from the Gujarat Maritime Board. The total project will cost Rs. 225 crores and is scheduled to be completed in 15 months.
The Bhoomi Pujan of Gogha – Dahej Ro Ro Ferry Service Terminal was performed by Honourable Chief Minister of Gujarat, Shri. Narendrabhai Modi. The Honourable Chief Minster also laid the foundation stone at Gogha.
This dedicated Ro-Ro Ferry Service will reduce the distance between Gogha and Dahej from 361 km to 31km thus saving in fuel costs and travel-time, thereby contributing towards a cleaner and greener Gujarat as well as ensuring safer travel.
Commenting on the project, President & CEO, Essar Projects –Mr Alwyn Bowden said, ”It is a matter of pride for us to associate with this prestigious project. The vision of Gujarat to provide a strategic connectivity through this project will go a long way in boosting trade and industry in the region by substantially reducing travel time. Essar Projects can contribute to making this vision a reality with its four decades of experience in marine construction”
The scope of Essar Projects contract includes:
- Design and Construct the Ro Ro Service terminals at both Gogha and Dahej.
- Constructing an approach bund of total 609 meters, of which 497 meters will be at Gogha and 112 metres at Dahej.
- Design and Construct an approach trestle of total 562 meters, of which 472 meters will be at Gogha end and 90 metres at Dahej end.
- Develop seven Dolphins spread over 84 meters.
- Design, fabricate and install a Link Span of 96 meters and a Pontoon of 50mtrs X 30mtrs.
- Reclamation and construction of a Bund / Rock Revetment of 488 meters
This project, initiated by the Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB), is part of the Government of Gujarat’s effort to develop a 1,600-km coastline as a means to develop trade and transport between Southern Gujarat and Kutch. In order to develop this, the Government of Gujarat has constituted a “Gujarat Coastal Area Development Board "(GCADB). The GMB along with the GCADB will primarily focus on tourism, forest & environment, fisheries development, industrial development and natural calamity management etc.
The Origin Destination survey conducted by GMB in November 2008 shows that a large number of passenger and cargo traffic is available and demonstrated a potential to develop a ferry service in the Gulf of Cambay. The strategic locations of Gogha and Dahej in the Gulf of Cambay offers the planned ferry service a great potential to develop, given the easy crossing of the Gulf. In order to keep up with the recent advances in technology and ship size, the Ro-Ro terminals are planned so that RO-RO vessels of larger sizes could load and unload at the terminals.
About Essar Projects Ltd.
Essar Projects Limited (EPL), is a class-leading Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) contractor offering innovative execution and project delivery solutions for projects of scale and complexity whilst simultaneously managing interfaces with licensors and technology partners to its clients in multiple sectors.
Essar Projects operates through eight Specialized Business Units (SBUs) aimed at leveraging the company’s sectorial expertise and track record. Each of these businesses – Power, Hydrocarbons, Civil & Buildings, Minerals & Metals, Offshore & Subsea, Pipelines & Terminals, Ports & Jetties, and Heavy Engineering – is run and managed by a team that has first-hand experience of delivering large projects on an EPC basis in its core sector.
About Essar Group
The Essar Group is a multinational conglomerate and a leading player in the sectors of Steel, Energy, Infrastructure and Services. With operations in more than 25 countries across five continents, the Group employs 75,000 people, and has revenues of USD 17 billion.
For Media Queries
Kedia Manish, Sr. VP – Corporate Affairs, Essar Group,
Phone: +91 98197 30092, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jatin Aggarwal, DGM - Corporate Communications, Essar Group,
Phone: +91 99301 36303, Email: email@example.com